Measuring for Cushions
For our DIY customers to assist in calculating cushion fabric yardage to purchase from us or purchase professionally made completed quality cushions made in our factory, Clearwater FL, USA. We have thousands of fabric choices for residential and contract use.
Before you purchase Sunbrella® or other décor fabric and DIY your cushions consider a complete professionally manufactured Patio Lane Sunbrella fabric or other high quality fabric completed cushion or fabric cushion cover. Are you in need of cushions for your chair, chaise, lounge, bench, or other outdoor/indoor furniture? Maybe your old poolside sling furniture is in need of rehabilitation, or you simply want upgraded fabric or firmer cushions. Whatever the case, we custom-create quality fabric cushions that will go perfectly with whatever furniture you have, regardless of the size, style, or situation.
Call 1.866.516.0934 Monday - Friday 9:00am-4:00pm EST or contact us today for a free estimate.
Manufactured fabric products typically ship in 10-15 business days.
Use our cushion calculator to determine yardage required for each cushion size.
- Exact measurements are necessary for us to complete your cushion project accurately.
- There are no standard sizes for most furniture cushions.
- When ordering completed cushions from us we will custom design the cushions from the information you provide us. Therefore, we are unable to offer returns on this custom service so please provide us as much information as you can, and follow the below instructions thoroughly.
Now, grab a measuring tape, something to write with and let's get started. Please feel free to email or call to ask questions.
Standard Chair, Chaise, or Bench
- Measure the width (W) - shown in orange. This is the area between the arms, on the seat of the chair.
- Measure the height (H) - shown in blue. Take the measurement from the back of the seat all the way to the top of the frame.
- Measure the depth (D) - shown in red. Measure from the front edge of the seat all the way to the back of the seat.
- Measure the thickness (T) - shown in green. Measure from the top to bottom of cushion (not compressed).
Please note: Since some seats are wider in the front than they are in the rear (and occasionally vice versa), keep this in mind as you make these measurements.
Deep Seating Furniture
- Measure the width. This is the area between the arms, on the seat of the chair.
- Measure the height.
- If the back cushion sets atop the seat cushion, make sure that you subtract the thickness of the seat cushion from the total height of the back cushion measurement. If the cushion is thicker than two inches, it is necessary that the back cushion to sit atop the seat cushion.
- For seats with curved corners using cushions with the seat and back connected, please include a template of the curved corner. You can do this by tracing the angle of the frame onto a piece of paper, and including this with your measurements.
- Measure the depth. Measure from the front edge of the seat all the way to the back of the seat.
If throw pillows are part of your order, please note the following.
- Pillows are measured square, not diagonally.
- Stand the cushion upright on its side.
- Grip one of the corners and pull tight to the other corner, as much as possible
- Then, measure from corner to corner.
- Based on your pillow fullness and curve this measurement will not be as accurate as you may think, pleae round up to the nearest wholenumber
- This is because pillows lose their form and fullness over time.
- Throw pillows often come in standard sizes: 16 X 16, 18 X 18, 20 X 20 etc…..
- Therefore all dimensions should round up to the nearest whole number. For example if your throw pillow measures 19 ½ X 19 ½ round up to 20 X 20.
Odd Shaped Furniture
- Many types of furniture simply can't be measured by easy or traditional means. If your furniture has odd curves or difficult-to-measure angles, you will need to provide us with a pattern. You can make the patterns out of any piece of paper large enough to accommodate a pattern piece, newspaper or wrapping paper usually works well.
- In addition, please include a photograph of the original cushion or the piece of furniture. Note that curved backs and cutouts on corners will incur an additional charge.
Optional Cushion Details
Most cushions use additional features to provide a satisfying finish and to allow for ease of use. Zippered cushion covers, for example, are easy to remove, wash, dry, and replace on the cushion. In addition to zippers, we provide Velcro ties, buttons, matching fabric ties, single or double cording (piping), and welting.
Special Note About Striped Fabric
If you require striped fabric, please specify the direction you want the stripes. Some long bench cushions with vertical stripes may require additional seams across the end.